We can identify the work of Satan by analyzing actions/events and the character traits that fuel those actions.
As God’s arch adversary, Satan is diametrically opposed to righteousness and all things holy. So, we analyze a work to see if it opposes righteousness.The Apostle Paul labeled Satan, “the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience,” Ephesians 2:2. Paul also stated, “The one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning.” 1 John 3:8
1. Satan usurped rulership of this present evil world. “The god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.” 2 Corinthians 4:4.
2. Satan is a masterful liar. “You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies.” John 8:44
3. Satan is the originator and source of all inherited illnesses and of sin – physically and spiritually. “You know of Jesus of Nazareth… and how he went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil.” Acts 10:38
4. Satan tempts to wrongdoing and is the invisible force of evil. “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the powers, against the forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” Ephesians 6:12
5. Satan deceives to make wrong appear right, and right to appear wrong. “For even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. Therefore it is not surprising if his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end shall be according to their deeds.” 2 Corinthians 11:14
6. Satan seeks to destroy our relationship with God. “Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.” I Peter 5:8-9
By studying the scriptures and our perfect pattern in Jesus, we will be able to recognize every unrighteous effort of Satan to influence and entangle us by his methods.