“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21
Earthly treasures like gold, riches, and possessions mean little to God and cannot be taken to heaven. Luke 12:21, “So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” 1 Timothy 6:7, “For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.”
So what treasures should our hearts want and what is stored in heaven?
– Our hearts should greatly treasure the knowledge of God, of His Son Jesus, and of His plan. “Wisdom and knowledge will be the stability of your times, and the strength of salvation; the fear of the LORD is His treasure.” Isaiah 33:6
– God values our faith shown by our works (James 2:18).
“Go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven.” Mark 10:21
“Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.” Revelation 14:13
– If we are faithful, God will bless us with immortality (divine nature).
Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 1 Tim. 6:19
That by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature. 2 Peter 1:4
– Another heavenly treasure is a place in the house of the Father. We could spend eternity in the presence of God as a reward for loyalty to the sacrificial life. (Revelation 2:10.) “In my Father's house are many mansions.” John 14:2
– Finally, we strive to obtain to the office of the royal priesthood – one of the greatest treasures in heaven. The saints will have the privilege of working with the Savior Jesus Christ to carry out a great work of restitution for the entire world (Acts 3:19-21).
“But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people…” 1 Peter 2:9.